Thursday, March 21, 2013

Missing Houston Peach Pie

Spring has officially begun around here. Or so they say, but today it snowed, again. Dear warm weather- feel feel to arrive anytime now.....

We've been packing up a storm around here, moving out to our new very Mad Men inspired house that we will be renting for the next year. In the process of moving, and cleaning out things, my husband oh so sweetly reminded me that the tens of thousands of magazines I have been collecting for the last year, will not be making the move. So I sat down and started going through all of them, and came across a copy of Southern Living magazine about peaches. I had picked this copy up on one of my many trips home from Houston, and had planned to make peach cobbler for my dad. Well, that never happened, and the magazine has just been sitting in my guest bedroom for over a year. Seeing the magazine, however, made me miss Houston, and started thinking of all the little things I miss about living there. One of them being eating peach cobbler from Rudy's BBQ. If you ever find yourself in Houston, make sure you go there, you won't be disappointed.

I did throw the magazine out (I'm trying not to be a future candidate for Hoarders), and did I decide to make peach cobbler? No, of course not, my line of reasoning never makes sense, instead I decided to make peach pie. So last week, I ventured to the store, came home all ready to make peach pie, but never quite got around to it. This moving thing has just thrown everything off.

Tonight I couldn't sleep and found this recipe.

Here are the ingredients I used (yes, I used canned peaches on this one, feel free to judge me). Also feel free to be jealous of my very fabulous and very yellow Pyrex bowl.

I'm cheating on the pie crust too.....

After heating the oven to 425 degrees F, mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.

Pyrex bowl I found caked in dirt in my Bachi's garage. 


Then combine with the cans of peaches (I used two large cans, but probably could have used another half of can). Mix until well blended.

Looks like caramel 


Next, unroll the pie crust (yes, I used ready made pie crust) and pour the peach mixture into your pie plate. My adorable pie plate was a shower gift from my aunt.

fingers crossed that this comes out perfect.


Put dots of butter over the mixture.

Not much to say about that...

Then cover with pie crust  and dust with sugar, the recipe says 2 tbsp but after pouring that on there it just seemed like quite a bit of sugar, feel free to add  a bit of cinnamon for flavor.

It looks like it is swimming in sugar....
Be sure to cover the edges with foil so they wont burn - and then pop in the oven for 30 mins.


Find something to do for thirty minutes (I watched Community), take the pie out of the oven and remove the foil. Place back in the oven for another ten minutes.

And now, Peach Pie Heaven. Yum. Here's hoping our volunteer movers enjoy this on Saturday for the big move.

I cannot promise that this will make it to Saturday....

Up next week- details about the new place, reviews on Sample Society's March 2013 box,  and my Mimi's apple pie.


1 comment:

  1. I love peach pie! We usually have it around Jake's birthday, as he loves it too and peaches are in season then. I also love peach ice cream... Dairy Bar peach ice cream... they only have it in the summer, so hopefully we'll be in back that way this summer so I can get some.

    ReplyDelete