Sunday, April 21, 2013

Keeping Up Appearances Apple Pie



As my work schedule would have it, tonight I couldn't sleep and started to go through random shows on Netflix. I ended up watching one of my all time favorites Keeping Up Appearances, and if you haven't watched it, check it out. I think its a riot, even if Mrs. Bucket (pronounced only by her as Bouquet) reminds me of my mimi- which lead me to my night project of baking an apple pie- my mimi's specialty and signature dessert.

Unfortunately my quest to find said recipe ended in disaster due to  this whole we moved and put things in boxes never to be found again fiasco. However, I did come across this apple pie recipe and decided to make a go of it. Fingers crossed that when my husband wakes up in the morning he's equally as pleased with this recipe since he's been asking for apple pie for quite awhile now.

I decided to cheat again and used store bought pie crust. Going forward let's all just assume that I will do that because well "ain't nobody got time for that."

Can we all just agree that this is one of the greatest inventions ever?


So after cutting up all the apples, you mix the dry ingredients. I tend to go heavier on the white and brown sugar. I just taste some apples as I go along, and modify. I also ramp up the cinnamon. I love cinnamon.

mixing in the dry ingredients

Once the dry ingredients have been mixed in with the apples. I rolled out the pie crust and glazed it with butter using a pastry brush. I then added more sugar, cinnamon, and then this wonderful product - the apple pie spice by Pampered Chef. It is amazing, AMAZING. I use it just on plain apples. It really adds something extra. I did this for both pieces of the crust.

as if it needed more cinnamon......

addicted.


Pour all the ingredients onto the pie crust, and then add butter.

I want to eat you right now. 


Also - before popping it in the oven, I suggest wrapping the sides in foil, unfortunately we were out, so the edges got a little crisp this go around.


Sorry buddy your sides are about to become crispy.

You are supposed to bake it for thirty five minutes, take it out and remove the foil and then continue baking for another ten to twenty minutes.  Let's pretend I had used the foil and did this.

random shot of my very cool oven 


Let the pie cool for about a  half hour before eating it (I know- it will be tempting to dive in since the smell is amazing.....).

Finished product- ignore the crispy bits. 


Overall the pie was a huge hit with my husband. We had some for breakfast and even though he said I was a little heavy handed with the cinnamon, it didn't seem to stop him from finishing the pie off very quickly. He also LOVED the crust, so maybe it wasn't as crispy as I thought.


Stay tuned this week for more Mad Men and THREE new sample box reviews.

It's going to be a crazy week!





No comments:

Post a Comment