Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Beauty on the Cheap- Pond's Cold Cream and Vaseline

The other day at work, one of my coworkers and I were discussing beauty products. She told me that she didn't have a lot of money to spend on beauty supplies but was wondering what products were out there that were on the cheaper side, but of good quality. I decided to start a series of posts where I do write about my favorite cheaper beauty products. Each week I will do one post for Beauty on the Cheap looking at fantastic, cheaper beauty products, stores to shop for them, and homemade remedies.

I thought the perfect way to start this series would be to look at two very classic, very practical, and very cheap beauty products- Pond's Cold Cream and Vaseline.

 Pond's Cold Cream is probably the best face product you can buy for yourself if you are on a budget. First of all, it's very affordable at less than four dollars a bottle, and lasts a long time. You can buy a huge bottle that will last you forever. You don't need much to do the job. It also comes in different varieties, so if you have sensitive or dry skin, then there is a type for you.

My Bachi (grandmother in Polish) SWORE by it, and trust me, she had amazing, beautiful, wrinkle free skin. She used it every single day, and people were always asking her, "Helen, how do you manage to look so young?"

Her response was always, "Pond's cold cream."

I think people thought she was lying, but she had bottles upon bottles of it under her sink (along with Avon Bubble Bath).

When I was younger, I always just thought it was such an old lady cream but in the last few years have embraced this product. As my coworker so aptly said, "There is a reason why some of these products have been around forever."

I use it every night to take off my makeup and to wash my face.  You don't need an extra makeup remover if you are using pond's, it takes it right off while also cleansing your face and leaving it refreshed looking. I never feel like it's drying out my skin before bed, and just really gives you that clean glow. I love it.

Vaseline is also another standard that you should definitely have in your beauty basket. It is VERY cheap, and you can probably have just one huge bottle for the rest of you life. I'm kidding, but seriously, it will last you for a long, long time. I felt growing up we only had one bottle under the sink the whole time I was a child. You can use on your face to prevent dryness, for example I use it around my nose in the winter. It's also great for helping chapped lips if you are in a bind, if you don't have chap stick.

Other uses include helping chapped elbows, removing makeup, use it on your cuticles, help prevent pain while plucking, and you can mix it with your eye shadow for a creamier eye look. Trust me, when it comes to Vaseline, there isn't much that it can't seem to help with when it comes to daily beauty.

My mother used Vaseline growing up, but this is actually something that I have really just recently started using as a recommendation from friends and magazines. Allegedly, Jennifer Aniston uses it every night under her eyes to prevent puffy eyes. People are very much on the fence about this, and go back and forth whether or not this is beneficial or not, but I've been doing this for a few months now and have liked the effects so far. I use it about once a week on my eyes and face, and have to say each morning your face definitely wakes up with a dewy glow. Sorry, I just said dewy glow, but honestly- its the best way to describe it even if it sounds lame like I'm describing some cheesy heroine in a horrible romance novel that has some half dressed fabio like man on the cover.

So there you have it, Pond's Cold Cream and Vaseline. Two products that a must whether you are in need of beauty on the cheap, or just want some solid gold time tested beauty products that won't let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment